Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Should personal trainers who use PEDs disclose their usage to clients?

Apr 30, 2024 - permalink

Friend of mine asked me this the other day and it made me think. While there are a lot of bodybuilders and fitness influencers who sell coaching services and programs, there are also those who are actual certified and licensed personal trainers. And as we have seen through some bodybuilders posted here who are trainers, it’s clear that they are “enhanced.”

I think it’s universally agreed that it’s annoying for enhanced influencers who claim to be natty sell programs promising similar results to theirs without the use of drugs. But should actual personal trainers who meet clients in-person who use also disclose that they use? For me. I think if the client only wants to get in shape or be more active, they don’t necessarily have to. But if the client wants to be an actual bodybuilder or strength athlete, or who wants to get a physique like their trainer’s, then I think the trainer should disclose their use to set realistic expectations on what is achievable natty versus enhanced.

Apr 30, 2024 - permalink

If you hire a bodybuilding coach, almost all of them will have a discussion and plan around PEDs.

Apr 30, 2024 - permalink

Reminds me Of Claire Thomas’ clients. All of them have her exact physique and year long 8 packs

Apr 30, 2024 - permalink

If you hire a bodybuilding coach, almost all of them will have a discussion and plan around PEDs.

Oh I know that bodybuilding coaches plan PED cycles for their clients. To clarify, my question is should certified personal trainers (of which there are bodybuilding coaches who aren’t actual certified trainers) who might work out of a big box gym like 24 Hour Fitness, EoS or maybe even a smaller gym, that meet with clients in-person at those facilities, disclose their PED use to their clients, especially if their clients express wishes for results outside of the natty spectrum.

Apr 30, 2024 - permalink

PED usage is something that I feel should be discussed after a certain amount of rapport and trust has been built between the client and trainer. Like you brought up, it is dependent on the goals of the client. The trainer has the influence to shape the trajectory of the client's results so I don't think that topic should really be brought up unless they have been worked together for at least 6 months if the client is a newbie. At the end of the day, personal trainers are just as much there to help a client reach their goals as they are there to listen to a client's positive/negative experiences in life like a therapist. The difference between a good trainer and a great trainer is connecting with a client as a human.

May 03, 2024 - permalink

It might be a pedantic question, but is there a licensing requirement for personal trainers in the US? I don't know if you'd get into trouble for calling yourself a Certified Personal Trainer on LinkedIn the same way you'd get in trouble for calling yourself a restricted title like Physiotherapist, Dietitian or MD/PhD of Sports Medicine. Or can you say "I'm self-certified bro" and be in the clear legally?

I think disclosing PED / Ozempic use would be the ethical thing for a personal trainer to do. Otherwise it feels like deceptive advertising to me (even if it's just subconscious on the clients part). Level setting expectations would also be the pragmatic thing to do if you want to keep billing them on a subscription basis. From my understanding, most recommend lifting seriously for at least 3 years to max out the natty gains before juicing anyway. But with the stigma/illegality of most PED's, I can see why they wouldn't want to plaster it all over their social's & work bio.

May 03, 2024 - permalink

It might be a pedantic question, but is there a licensing requirement for personal trainers in the US? I don't know if you'd get into trouble for calling yourself a Certified Personal Trainer on LinkedIn the same way you'd get in trouble for calling yourself a restricted title like Physiotherapist, Dietitian or MD/PhD of Sports Medicine. Or can you say "I'm self-certified bro" and be in the clear legally?

Don’t think there is a licensing requirement. Might vary state by state though. The only issue someone who is claiming being certified will be upon a civil lawsuit if anything were to happen.

May 03, 2024 - permalink

Of course they should, but they'd lose customers, so they never will.

May 03, 2024 - permalink

I think disclosing PED / Ozempic use would be the ethical thing for a personal trainer to do. Otherwise it feels like deceptive advertising to me (even if it's just subconscious on the clients part). Level setting expectations would also be the pragmatic thing to do if you want to keep billing them on a subscription basis. From my understanding, most recommend lifting seriously for at least 3 years to max out the natty gains before juicing anyway. But with the stigma/illegality of most PED's, I can see why they wouldn't want to plaster it all over their social's & work bio.

That's not pedantic at all and is a good question.

While you can technically call yourself a personal trainer without certification without getting into trouble, unless you claim a certification that you don't have (I think, but not 100% sure,) you generally won't get hired at any gym. The most well known accredited certification program is probably the National Academy of Sports Medicine, or NASM. Other well-known programs are ACE and ISSA. While they are accredited, it's up to the individual gym as to whether they accept it or not (most accept all accredited programs, but some do not).

The reason I specified personal trainers in my question is because of that certification and education, as opposed to fitness influencers or even bodybuilding coaches who don't need that to train you independently.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »